Welcome!

I am going to be blogging my trip. This is a trip to celebrate my 50 years on this planet. I will try to post every day with pictures as we go.

Sunday 3 April 2011

Planes, trains and trams, trams and more trams!

I think it is safe to say I am tram challenged. First thing we went to the Ann frank museum which was very moving. It took us a while to find the building thanks to my superior navigation skills (not!). Eventually we decided the only person that could read a map was Cynthia (she is awesome at it). After Ann frank we stopped at this neat little pancake house that Sharon found. It was pretty yummy, salty and sweet combo was definitely the way to go.

The afternoon was spent at the keuekenhof gardens which was breathtaking. The pictures that Sharon took were amazing. If I ever suss out the posting I will load a few up. It was holland cultural weekend so there were people in traditional clothing. They explained what was signified by each of the outfits . Apparently single men have a red bandana which is good to know!

It was a bit of a hike to the gardens were well worth it. The weather was about 22 and sunny. We could not have ordered up a better day weather wise. When we got back to the city we wandered around the central section until I could not take the crowds and noise. I was on the verge of a meltdown so we hopped on a tram to goodness knows where and jumped off in search of a restaurant. After a very long forced march we found a little turkish place with great food and horrible service. Three beers and a half litre of wine later we wandered out to find our way home. I think we got on at least four trams going in different directions before we ended up on the right one. That does not include the four or five we missed either standing at the wrong place or on the wrong side of the road!!! It was hysterical..typical tourists! We made it home eventually. We are now sitting at the departure lounge waiting to board our flight to cape town. Africa here we come!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Directionally challenged? I find that hard to believe... oh, wait... there was that trip in Orlando.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amsterdam's trams, I remember them well. Had me dazed and confused too. But Africa beckons...yippee!

    ReplyDelete